- This Week
Get fierce with winter fashion -- club-ready stunners and wet weather must-haves from local stores
12.04.12 - 6:21 pm | Caitlin Donohue |
STREET SEEN Our stylist for this week's "Icy Hot" photoshoot Dick Van Dick was a little twerked from the party scene the night before, but in order to properly express the fashion aesthetic of his Arcam style collective, he was good enough to indulge me with a single quote.
"I believe in the power of the retrospective fashion sense," the Bay Area native texted me. "Nothing new ever happens. Recycle, reuse, resell." Read: vintage couture, the eternal refuge of the low budget club kid.
Van Dick has been snapping necks with his vogue ball club kids designs of late. Mesh face masks attached to Rainbow Brite-neon weaves are his signature, fly accoutrement that is perfectly soundtracked by "Rok U Baby," the vogue track he just completed with recent Goldie winner, Matrixxman of DJ duo 5kinandbone5.
For our shoot — which took place in the charming Tendernob apartment of photographer Cabure Bonugli on a grey afternoon — we asked that Van Dick incorporate pieces from local stores into his fierce looks. But he did pepper the models with the studded berets and clawed leather gloves that he makes to order for interested clientele and sells alongside his thrift store finds. Hard werkers, cop this for the winter.
(I'm telling you, you gotta see it in the print version though -- flip to page 19)
Stylist: Dick Van Dick
Photographer: Cabure Bonugli/Shot in the City
Art director: Brooke Robertson
Models: Ryan, Kelly Dezart Smith, Virgie Tovar, Anton Martinez, Marie Brand
Black and white photography: Reynaldo Ruetas Cayetano, Jr.
GET THE LOOK
Ambiance, various SF locations. www.ambiancesf.com
Freeman's Sporting Club, 696 Valencia, SF. (415) 863-2155, shop.freemanssportingclub.com
Mill Mercantile, 3751 24th St., SF. (415) 401-8920, www.millmercantile.com
Mission Thrift, 2330 Mission, SF. (415) 821-9560
Painted Bird, 1360 Valencia, SF. (415) 401-7027, www.paintedbird.org
Unionmade, 493 Sanchez, SF. www.unionmadegoods.com
Most Commented On
- Seems weird to me that ALL of the SF waterfront belongs to the - December 5, 2013
- Pete must be a westsider - December 5, 2013
- Is that you Cowboy? Hey, - December 5, 2013
- Wrong, the Marsh is the outlier demanding that all their - December 5, 2013
- Surely the onus is on you to soundproof your own space if - December 5, 2013
- and my name is Marga Gomez - - December 5, 2013
- Mr Rutherford is that you? - December 5, 2013
- In reply to the 3 previous - December 5, 2013
- The SFBG is starting to look a lot better recently. - December 5, 2013
- Is that where the cardboard box where you sleep is, Pete? - December 5, 2013