For our annual Year in Music issue, I asked local musicians, rappers, producers, and music writers to sound off on the year's best songs, album releases, shows – pretty much anything they wanted, music-wise. For the next few days, I'll be posting them up individually on the Noise blog. You can also check the full list here. – Ed. note.
Michael Krimper, Guardian
The Endless Desire List
(in no particular order, or, out of order)
1. Les Sins/"Fetch"/12" (Jiaolong)
Run, fall, catch your desire.
2. The Soft Moon/"Want"/Zeros (Captured Tracks)
Infinite want, can't have it. O, ye of bad faith.
3. Frank Ocean/"Pyramids"/channel ORANGE (Def Jam)
Pimping Cleopatra, whoring the pyramids.
4. Daphni aka Caribou/"Ye ye"/Jiaolong (Jiaolong)
Affirmation on repeat.
5. Grimes/"Genesis"/Visions (4AD)
Whatever, you know you like it.
6. Todd Terje/"Inspector Norse"/It's the Arps (Olsen/Smalltown Supersound)
Inspecting never felt so good.
7. Burial/"Kindred"/Kindred (Hyperdub)
Kindred outcasts, jealously desiring their solitude.
8.John Talabot/"Estiu"/Fin (Permanent Vacation)
If a permanent vacation wasn't hell, this might be its soundtrack.
9. Purity Ring/"Obedear"/Shrines (4AD)
Nothing pure in this abject need.
10. Kendrick Lamar/"A.D.H.D."/good kid m.A.A.d city (Interscope)
Crack babies: she says, distracted, endless desire.
Most Commented On
- I'll give you three exampels of that - May 22, 2013
- It's not marginal costs that count. - May 22, 2013
- Don't you live in Portland? - May 22, 2013
- The argument that some people - May 22, 2013
- Only Landlords Could Possibly - May 22, 2013
- "Libertarian socialist" - May 22, 2013
- More important things in life than being a control freak - May 22, 2013
- Don't blame jaywalking - May 22, 2013
- It would be even more amusing... - May 22, 2013
- Constitution: Drug laws are illegal, drugs are legal - May 22, 2013